Ground broke on Covina Bowl in 1955, with plans for it to be the largest structure in the area. It would come to house 30 lanes and a 250-person restaurant. The cost? A whopping $1 million. The large and expensive center opened on February 11, 1956, to much fanfare. There was no doubt that Covina Bowl would have a massive number of visitors. During the 1950s, the population of Covina grew from around 4,000 to more than 20,000 — plenty of bowlers to fill those seats.
Photographer unknown, from the IBMHOF collection