During the midst of bowling’s Golden Age, even the White House came down with bowling fever! President Harry S. Truman oversaw the construction of the two-lane White House bowling alley, originally housed in the West Wing itself. Truman himself wasn’t much of a bowler, but the lanes were put to regular use with the formation of the White House Bowling League in 1950. Truman’s inaugural roll knocked out 7 pins. The White House bowling alley has since been moved to the Eisenhower Executive Office Building.
( C ) Copyright Associated Press