TRUMAN INAUGURATES WHITE HOUSE ALLEY
During the midst of bowling’s Golden Age, even the White House came down with bowling fever! President Harry S. Truman oversaw the construction of the two-lane White House bowling alley, originally housed in the West Wing itself. Truman himself wasn’t much of a bowler, but the lanes were put to regular use with the formation of the White House Bowling League in 1950. Truman’s inaugural roll knocked out 7 pins. The White House bowling alley has since been moved to the Eisenhower Executive Office Building.
( C ) Copyright Associated Press