The Pioneer Lanes in Addison, Illinois, embraced technological advancements inside and out! The massive sign that greeted bowlers outside the center was 37.5 feet high and 26 feet wide. It was made of tenite butyrate plastic and produced by the Eastman Chemical Company. Electric fixtures inside the sign illuminated the sign for passersby, making Pioneer Lanes instantly recognizable any time of day! The center opened in 1957 and boasted automatic pinsetters, locker rooms and bars for cocktails and snacks.
Photographer unknown, from the IBMHOF collection